Subject: [Leica] Re: "a la carte" & "certified pre-owned"
From: MEB at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Thu Jan 27 09:30:33 2005

>Douglas and Karen wrote:
>
>Leica should get into the used camera business.Buy up all
>the second hand stuff CLA, re-box and re-sell it with a
>guarantee,at least we'd be sure of the quality.

ACK! This would ensure that the used price for a Leica goes back up to the
level where only Dentists, retired Engineers and Lawyers can afford to have
one!

I got my IIIc for $100 off the M5 that I sold to a LUGger (I had to sell the
M5, I couldn't stomach the thought the cost of having to repair a camera
that I
had spent that hard saved $1600 for.) I got my well worn M4P a few years
later
from a work PJ who needed to fund his D1X purchase. The M4P cost me a mere
$500. It has the requisite 'chroming' and ding in the top plate, but works
flawlessly.

Thean affordable used market (eBay and LUG) and affordable new CV glass from
Mr. Gandy are the great equalizers of the Leica world. They are the gateway
drug to total addiction. They are what allows the college student or blue
collar shooter to get try RF shooting just once (kind of like crack) and to
then completely jones over (and save scrupilously for) that shiny new
MP/Nocitlust combo (or whatever.)

Unless Leica is going to sell the certified used (sorry, 'pre-owned')
cameras
for current market values, I think this is a bad thing for consumers in the
long run. Personally, I'd rather have a beater that I have the option of
sending to Sherry or DAG IF it breaks.

Then again, I've got my Leicas for as long as they make film for them. I
have
no real personal stake in it.

Be well,
Michael Eric Berube