Subject: [Leica] Re: scanning B&W film
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Fri Jan 28 10:13:38 2005

Glenn asks:

>Is there a viable flat-bed option for 35mm B&W?

I (and several others) on this list have sung the
praises of the Epson 4870.  It's a superb scanner and
almost certainly wins the cost/benefit sweepstakes
against anything else on the market, flatbed or film.

Produces exhibition quality 11x14s from 35mm film.
Literally exhibition quality.  I produced many of the
prints at this exhibition from 4870 35mm scans:

http://www.virginia.edu/music/jazzatuva/

It's fast, not at all temperamental or fiddly, and
also scans X-Pan negs, medium format and 4x5.

--John in Charlottesville