Subject: [Leica] Leica glass and shadow detail
From: contaxaholic at yahoo.com (Roger)
Date: Fri Jan 28 11:30:09 2005

Well I must say that looking through the viewfinder of the M6/M7 cameras was
bright and contrasty. Only other camera that came close, in my opinion, was
the Bronica RF645.

Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> wrote:> Was in Helix (Chicago, Illinois)
and the salesman showed me some Leica binoculars and he went on and on
> about the fact that Leica uses special ingredients in the lens formula so
> that more shadow detail is picked up. He
> intimated that it's the same with their 35mm camera lenses.
>
> Is this really true, or was the salesman stretching the truth?

It's a bit of a stretch 'cuz the glass Leica uses to make their optics are
available to all. You'll get more shadow detail any time you have high
optical contrast, minimizing flare and aberations. Where Leica excels is not
as much in making magical glass but more in combining glass types, curves,
coatings and mounts to maximize image quality, including optical contrast.
Other makers can do the same when they design more to a performance spec
than to a price point.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com