Subject: [Leica] PAW 3
From: lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann)
Date: Sat Jan 29 12:39:12 2005

At 07:43 AM 1/29/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Lee showed and asked:
>Subject: [Leica] PAW 3
>

>>Dear LUG,
>>Attached is PAW 3 - 2005.  I am back from travel and almost un-jet lagged
>>after a wonderful trip.  For the most part I am disappointed in my photo
>>timing, having missed the decisive moment slightly quite often.  At least
>>one more picture will follow from this trip.  I hope someone enjoys.
>>Comments appreciated.
>
>>New photo at:
>> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/Lee-Hermann-album/SeineA<<<<<<<<
>
>Good morning Lee,
>Please let me remind you, you did say: " Comments appreciated."
>
>My first is.. "What was the motivating factor in making this exposure?" My
>gut feeling? I'd almost bet it was the weather and your wonderful feeling
>of early morning in Paris as I have felt many times. As in, " WOW! What a
>great morning!  Click!"
>
>And we rarely capture our inner feelings,  "if there isn't a visual
>accompaniment of subject."
>
>As in feeling lousy when we see a snow storm....... In that case there is
>a "visual motivation " to make a solid photograph to go with the inner
>feeling. Whereas this exposure of what appears to be the Seine, bridge,
>trees in Paris has no central point of visual motivation.
>
>The camera was tilted upwards creating central converging lines to the
>buildings, the lamp post is leaning to the centre right. This maybe
>considered nit-picking about holding the camera straight. But in reality
>it's a small thing that can make or break a photograph from being visually
>interesting to "just another happy snap!"
>
>And the overall exposure appears it could easily handle another half to
>full stop darker for better saturation in the sky and also bringing out
>the buildings in the background.
>
>However, the bottom line is........ this is an exposure of, "What?" As I
>asked earlier..... "What was the reason or visual  motivation to make this
>exposure?"
>
>No offence intended.
>ted

Dear Ted,
         Thank you for your thoughts.  I guess that indeed it was an I love
Paris shot and I liked the composition.  I find that my horizontals are
often off the mark and with a 28 I do have trouble correcting for
convergence.  I guess that my astigmatism accounts for some of my
troubles.  I shall try harder.
Thanks again
Lee

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] PAW 3)