Subject: [Leica] My attitude about Colo(u)r
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Feb 2 09:28:50 2005

It is one of the best photos you've ever posted - and anyone who told
you it was a bad posting doesn't know a photograph from a cave painting!
I don?t know how I missed that one, but it is fabulous. And all that
color says is "night time with some artificial lighting." It's no where
near as "off" as the shot under discussion.

As to the point of posting - I've always figured we post so that we can
get some feedback - positive, negative, and hopefully constructive -
from somewhere other than from the mirror. While we may not agree with
the comments, ultimately any that are honest may end up being helpful.

But as to the guy in the caf? - as I said early on, I see it as a miss
and not a hit. A guy sits at a table looking down. So? Compare that to
Bill Clough's classic, "Madison," where a guy looking down also occupies
the right hand side of the frame. In Clough's image, as in this one, we
can't see that the guy is looking at a newspaper. But in Clough's photo
the left hand side of the frame is occupied by an angelic Shirley Temple
look-alike glancing off to the left, out of the frame. So one looks at
that image and immediately wonders, 'WHAT is going on here?' The caf?
man photo, color aside, lacks anything to make one - well to make me, at
least - want to ask that question. And without the question, there's
nothing there.

But let's suppose for a moment that we could see the newspaper. Again,
we have to ask why we care about this particular guy reading the
newspaper? Is there something else in the photo that provides some
interest, some humor, some irony, some pathos? As I think I wrote
before, had there been a sign somewhere behind the guy with words to the
effect of "No Newspaper Reading Allowed," that would give us something.
But as a photo of a guy reading a newspaper in an orange caf?....

B. D.