Subject: [Leica] My attitude about Colo(u)r
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Wed Feb 2 16:03:05 2005

Seldom do I have the memory capacity to recall the color balance of a
given frame. Heck, our brains do so much to jerk around our reaction to
color? what color predominated the last 15 minutes of our lives has
huge effects on what we see. What I see on the same monitor is much
different  if the shade is drawn or open; if the light across the room
on; if I remember to shift to a gray desktop picture.

For the years that I worked in newspapers, I worried about not
betraying reality. I left hideous powerlines in otherwise lovely
compositions. I corrected color (when the little paper allowed me the
luxury of color) to match the real situation as best I could.

Now, the non-journalistic work I do is for the pleasure of MY eye. The
color falls where I like (or will settle for on those stubborn ones).
Unsightly trees, or trash, or powerlines are banished without
conscience.

Unless you must exactly portray reality, the color balance of a photo
is no more right or wrong that the pallet chosen by any other artist.
Some may like it and others not, but it can?t be wrong to the
phtographer unless they don?t get what they want.

Ric Carter