Subject: [Leica] My attitude about Colo(u)r
From: chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Wed Feb 2 20:15:33 2005

Perhaps.  The first image has a distinctly blue cast, which may be the
consequence of atmospherics, but I think not.  I look especially at
"white" tiles in the minaret, which are not, *on my monitor*, white, but
bluish.  I also notice the almost utter absence of red.  This feels very
Ektachromish to me--which I always thought a disappointing film.

The second, though the sky verges on blown out in the jpeg, pretty
faithfully reproduces a broad gamut from the whites of the tile
aforementioned to the neutral black shadows in the arch in the extreme
lower left of the frame.  The pale blue of the upper mosaic of the dome
is far more subdued and textured than in the first image; more
important, the ochre and red tilework (especially at the base of the
dome) are distinct: again the gamut here is pretty broad.

I don't know what this mosque 'really' looks like, but to my mind the
only persuasive image here is the second one.

Lovely place.  Where is it?

Cheers,

Chandos