Subject: [Leica] My attitude about Colo(u)r
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Feb 3 02:23:58 2005

At 11:57 PM 2/2/2005, you wrote:
>Bravo, Tina!  You really stirred the pot with those two mosque
>shots.  Kodachrome?

Yes, both are Kodachrome.

>Seriously. . . which one is "correct?" I have no idea.  The first looks
>like it's lit only with blue sky behind the camera; the second looks like
>early morning or late afternoon light.  I'll guess that the second is
>closer to what we would see in normal daylight, but warmer.  I'm basing
>this on the color of the bricks, which is the only frame of reference I
>have in the shot.  Then again, there is a mosque in Samerkand, Uzbekistan
>that looks like the bluer picture (it was shown in a Leica Photographie
>International in the last few years).

In my memory this mosque is very blue, but I suspect that the second photo
is closer to the true color.  I have other photos of this mosque that I'll
scan later.  I think it looks blue in those, but my memory may be playing
tricks on me.

>   Some of us tolerate/like wider swings from reality than others.

I'm always amazed at the variations I get when I try "Auto Color" in
Photoshop.  Some look perfectly acceptable but not at all what I
remember.  The gray balance in PhotoKit gives a very neutral tone, but
usually I prefer a warmer look for people.

>And reality is for people who can't handle Velvia.   :-)

And there is a Velvia filter for Photoshop, too!!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] My attitude about Colo(u)r)