Subject: [Leica] 1Ds Mk II at ISO 3200
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Feb 6 20:18:21 2005

Adam Bridge showed:

>I was asked about how the 1Ds Mk II (I think it's going to be 1Dsii
> from now on for me) does at ISO 3200.
>
> Here are two images taken a few days ago using the 24-70mm f2.8L Canon
> zoom (a VERY good piece of glass if rather vast.) Okay, they're of my
> kitty, Spirit, who was sitting on the dining room chair. It's
> hand-held at 1/40th of a second.
>
> Here's the full-frame image.
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/02/_L3U0018-crv-shrp.jpg>
> And here is a 100% closeup of the right eye.
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/02/_L3U0018-crv-shrp-crp.jpg>

> Not as good as portrait work but perhaps it'll give you a bit of a
> clue about how the camera works at 3200. I'd say it's better than any
> film I'm capable of processing myself, even black and white.<<<<<

Hi Adam,
I realize there are all kinds of doubters out there in "never-never land"
when we make comment about how incredibly well your 1Ds Mk II camera and my
Canon 20D produce images at ASA 3200. I've shot a fair amount now at 3200 in
colour, printing on 13X19 paper, 12" X 18" prints and I defy anyone to show
me a 3200 film print of same proportion and cropping of equal quality! If
there is I've never seen it in any 3200 film colour or mono!

I realize I sound like a broken record about the quality of the 20D camera
and when it comes to using a Leica lens with it the results are more than
amazing in quality. A whie back I swore I wasn't going to make further
comments, however your posting led to my doing it once again. :-)

I realize your camera model sensor is larger than the 20D, but even so, they
certainly provide spectacular prints.

ted

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] 1Ds Mk II at ISO 3200)