Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 5: A world that disappeared
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon Feb 7 10:16:44 2005

Nathan - These are terrific and I'm sure you will find enormous
satisfaction in collecting these photos and scanning them for your
family.  I did that last year on a collection of over a thousand old
family photos dating back to the late-1800s.  Organizing, scanning,
key-wording, and identifying the people in each photo was enormous
work, (it took four months) but I doubt I've ever done anything quite
so gratifying in all my years of photography.

Old photos do acquire a patina not just of age, but of family
culture.  Many of mine are written on by now long-gone relatives and,
needless to say, those markings remained in the scans.

The DVDs I made were greatly appreciated and gave the family much
joy. The DVDs not only made the pictures easily accessible for the
first time, but also because I was often able to identify many people
thought lost to family history.   The family record is now
distributed widely, too, and is far less likely to be lost should
something happen to the originals.

Good luck with your project.  Your family will love the results and
I'm sure you'll find great satisfaction and pleasure in the doing and
the sharing.

>I took some pictures this past week. But the ones I am going to show
>you were not taken by me. In fact, they were taken 60 to 75 years
>ago by unknown photographers in Poland; but these images were my
>most important photographic activity this weekend.
>
>Some background: during the holidays my sister and I went through my
>late father's photo albums. She did most of the work, arranging the
>pictures by topic and period. My intent is to scan the more
>important images and make CDs for each branch of my global family. I
>started scanning today, and here is a small sample. It is of course
>quite an emotional experience for me to go through these pictures,
>not only because they include my father, but also because they
>represent a world that was so brutally destroyed.

(snip)