Subject: [Leica] Back to Lisboa, new pictures
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Tue Feb 8 13:23:14 2005

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure that your argument could be one of the important reasons why
the serious photographers are using digital. IMHO digital is useful for
professionals, in fact it gives a pretty good quality, enough for many
professionals works, is more easy, more fast, less expensive, easy
manipulating..., probably with all the principal advantages the professional
could appreciate.

But for us, or at least, for me that I don't need all these qualities or
advantages, that neither I have a enormous budget taking pictures, for me is
much more easy and better in quality the traditional film work. Once (6
months ago) I went to a very top lab for professionals, I have ordered to
scan some slides, you can imagine that they have the better equipments, and
I've never get the same quality into the scanned image compared with the
slide, I have asked why, the answer was if I employ a lot of time working on
the scanned image I can improve it.

I think that my "exigencies" are because I'm only an amateur, for most of
professional work the digital quality is enough quite good. I like see on a
image the fine gradation and subtle tones that Leica lenses gives on a big
screen. I've read the Erwin Putts book about Leica lenses, somewhere he said
that the Japanese concept was more on the contrast that on the Leica
concept, more on other criteria as said. Maybe my position, or my mentality
follows more than others these classical principles, I'm probably very
conservative....romantic...., I don't know...

Saludos cordiales,
Luis