Subject: [Leica] Easy way to set white balance on digital cameras.
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 8 14:02:05 2005

http://www.expodisc.com/

In brief, it's a disc that fits the front of the lens to read the color
temperature.

I haven't tried this tool, but it was recommended by a studio lighting
equipment sales rep. It's supposed to be more reliable than white or grey
cards for setting white balance because there no hassles with tilting the
card and glare and all that. Much cheaper than a color temp meter.

Because Expo Discs are individually sized to fit different front threads,
one could end up with a batch of them. But, one could get by with only one.
As I'll do, because I'm one cheap s.o.b. Here's the strategy; get the disc
that fits your largest front diameter lens. In my case, that's 77mm, which
means about $149.00 for an Expo Disc that snicks right into place. For
smaller front diameter lenses, I'll just hold the disc in place to take
readings. So, my 77mm disc will work with 72mm, 58mm, etc., Canon lenses.

Of course, when Leica introduces the digital M, I'll have to get the
Leica-approved disc to cover 39mm, 55mm and 60mm. For, oh, $995.00. Of
course.

-Chris Lawson

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Easy way to set white balance on digital cameras.)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Easy way to set white balance on digital cameras.)