Subject: [Leica] Easy way to set white balance on digital cameras.
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Feb 8 20:03:19 2005

Chris:  If you want to be an even cheaper s.o.b., you could try what some
people on the Oympus DSLR list have been using--the white plastic lid from
a tin of Pringles(*).  I haven't tried it myself, but some folks swear by
it, and their posted pictures look good on my screen.  Others have used,
believe it or not, coffee filters.  As Dave Barry says, I am not making
this up.

(For non-US LUGgers, Pringles are specialty potato chips that come stacked
in a cylindrical tin, which I'm told conveniently has an outer diameter
close to that of the E-1 kit lens.  Shades of Kyle Cassidy and his
vitamin-bottle lids as M-mount rear lens cap.)

As for the Leica Digital-Weissebalancescheibe , the one with the black rim
will cost $995.  The silver rimmed version will go for $1095, but will
eventually be reduced to $945.00 by dealers.  As for Titanium and
Hammertone, they will be part of the a la carte program, $1249 and $1895,
with a one and two-year waiting list.

--Peter