Subject: [Leica] Easy way to set white balance on digital cameras.
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Feb 9 12:29:51 2005

>Clive,
>I wouldn't say better than digital, but all the four layer Fuji films do
>very well in mixed light.  If you do a custom white balance in mixed
>light you can keep your color balance looking good.
>
>Don
>dorysrus@mindspring.com

If I have an image in digital form with colour casts due to mixed
lighting, I usually as a quick fix try to select a narrow range of
the spectrum around that cast and first try desaturating it, and if
that doesn't work well enough, change the hue of that portion.

When Fuji first came out with their four layer films, I was
delighted. Years ago mixed lighting of the kind we have everywhere
now was extremely rare, so you could balance things nicely with a
colour meter and packs of CC filters. Usually transparencies were
asked for, and it was possible to produce nice looking ones with the
CC filters. Then the mixed lighting thing took off in the late 70's
and things got messy. The look of many interior spaces, particularly
commercial spaces depended on the various lights being on, and it was
impossible to balance things with CC filters, or by replacing normal
bulbs with blue photofloods or whatever. It became impossible to
produce attractive transparencies in many cases. Fuji to the rescue!
Reala, and later many other Fuji films made great looking colour
shots possible again. The only problem was that many clients still
demanded transparencies. So before I could get four layer 4x5 film, I
would shoot interiors on 120 Reala and then have the neg printed on
4x5 transparency print film. Even though the transparency then had
giveaway clear edges, clients accepted this, and were happier than if
they got 120 negs. :-)

I don't like using the disc-in-front-of-the-camera for colour
balancing, as it tends to accept colours reflected from surrounding
surfaces more readily and in a less predictable fashion than (with a
digital camera) taking a reference shot off a known neutral surface
exposed to the light source of interest, or holding a colour meter
directly up to a light source.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design