Subject: [Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Feb 9 18:00:40 2005

David Mason asked:

>I don't mean to sound stupid, well, no more stupid than usual, but I'd
> like to know from those of you with Canon digis with Leica adaptors -
> what are the drawbacks? Can one use aperature priority or does the
> lack of canon ROM kill that? Are people using the adaptor from Stephen
> Gandy or some other one?
>
> I really love some of the shots I have seen by those of you with the
> 20D - that with a juicy Leica R lens would make me melt.

David my man, begin to melt! ;-) Go for it! ;-)

If one wants a draw back? There aren't any unless you become hooked on Canon
lenses and auto-focus! Then you might find going back to ... "Leica manual
focus." maybe a draw back. ;-)  However, after all these years of Leica
manual focus it really isn't a draw back 99% of the time.

The Leica lenses are great and the Canon aperture priority works peachy keen
perfect! :-)

I shot a bunch of stuff yesterday with the R100 2.8 Apo macro and they are
great. Just set aperture, focus with camera set to Av and camera does the
rest.. Of course other than focus, but exposures are bang on.

I use 3 Stephen Gandy adapters because I hate changing things,  so I can
work quickly without screwing around changing adapters. However, it means I
still have to change lenses so I will be looking at another 20D or the
version with full 35mm size sensor.  Maybe! ;-)

But I have no complaints with this combination as I know many others are
shooting in same fashion and quite happy with their results.

ted

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica)