Subject: [Leica] for Nathan
From: kine_scope at yahoo.com (Liam Maloney)
Date: Sat Feb 12 18:02:03 2005

Hi Nathan, thanks for looking at my pictures. They will form part of a group
show called "Montreal en Priere", an outdoor exhibit that is patr of the
annual Festival of Light here in Montreal. Regarding your question, I didn't
find it difficult to gain the trust of my subjects. I did a healthy amount
of research before meeting the people I photographed. I was very up front
about what I wanted to do and how I wanted to portray people. I spent a lot
of time at each location and gradually became part of the furniture. I moved
slowly and worked with one camera and a couple lenses. I dressed
appropriately and tried to behave in a way that respected the sanctity of
the places I was working in. Most importantly, I respected and admired my
subjects for showing me their faith.

If you are interested in working on a project like this, talk to the
ordinary people that stream out of the temples and churches on weekends and
prove to them that you are genuinely interested in telling their story. You
shouldn't have too much trouble. The real stumbling block is LIGHT! Many of
the places I worked in had a combination of sodium halide / fluorescent
fixtures that cast very unflattering shadows and colours on people's faces.
Using flash is out of the question - way too intrusive, so you just have to
wait for those little gifts that come your way once in a while. Really, the
guidelines are the same for almost any photo project involving people.
Respect, transparency and, whenever possible, "shoot from the shadow side"!

I have a lot to learn and a there is so much that I want to photograph, but
those rules seem like good starting points for any project. Thanks again for
looking. I'll be posting more images as well as captions when I have a
chance (midterms are making my life difficult right now!)

Liam