Subject: [Leica] MTF Data
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Feb 12 18:53:07 2005

Dan,
Your question includes assumptions as to resolving power of the
recording media, tripod use or not, and the size of enlargement.

Assuming a truly outstanding recording media and the use of a tripod and
an enlargement factor of 10X; I suspect that a difference of 10% will be
detectable.  So you should just make out the difference between one lens
showing 90% at a given point and one showing 80% or so.  If the
enlargement factor increases, then the spread will decrease.  At a 20X
enlargement then you should see the difference in a 90% and an 85% lens.

I think this is why the wide angle zooms for Canon have taken such a hit
on the full frame sensor.  If you look at the MTF charts, the percent
contrast in the corners is about 10%.  Combine that with high incident
angles and micro lenses you are almost guaranteed low resolution color
fringed images in the outer zones.  Combine that with the pixel peepers
desire for perfection in 100% PS views, no understanding of viewing
distance, and you get unreasonable demands.

A lens is just a tool, sometimes; a truly flawed lens will make
wonderful images.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com