Subject: [Leica] Help with studio lighting: PAW 7
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Feb 13 06:10:05 2005

Alistair,
I do think the second one is more effective, although I like the
arrangement of the first one better.  As others have commented, a darker
background in number one would work better.  Does either your sister or
wife have a dark purple silk blouse that could be called into play?

As to lighting, what you need is much softer light.  If you have a
really large soft box, try using that from directly overhead.  If not,
then try using a white sheet and tenting the set; use a light to shoot
through the tent.  For highlights, use small mirrors or white cards to
selectively bounce some additional light to those areas you want
highlighted.  Use black cards to subtract light if necessary.

Thank your sister as shooting jewelry is one of the hardest things to do
in a studio, as you noticed, lots of shiny surfaces that cause much
difficulty.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com