Subject: [Leica] Re: A question about lens focus
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Feb 13 08:16:12 2005

Adam:

>In my head I can make this work either way but I would like to know
>how it really works.

Ideally, it should be a flat field.  In the real world, my understanding is
that it's a bit of both.  The field isn't a perfect section from a sphere,
nor is it perfectly flat.

Most macro lenses are designated as being corrected for flat fields.

In the real world when not using macro, the only time this usually matters
is when you first buy a lens.  The flatter the field, the better it will
perform with the newspaper-taped-to-a-brick-wall-compulsary-pictures.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/