Subject: [Leica] The ever-popular lens fingerprint/3D thing
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Mon Feb 14 22:18:37 2005

Folks...

Since this issue persists, to the fascination of some and consternation
of others, let me say that I'm often unsure of which of two "3-D"
effects, each basically the opposite of the other, shooters refer to.

One, a property of, say, the 35 ASPH 'Cron wide open, or one of the APO
teles is the stark separation of the in-focus subject sharply separated
from the background by acute edge transitions.  The other, a property
of, say, the 35 4th gen, wide open, or the collapsible 'Cron is the
shaded transition of  edges (due to aberrations) which gives them a
kindof  "roll" and a "sculpted" effect.

In addition to these modes of rendering, others say that what really
works is the ability to render very subtle transitions of grey zones.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] The ever-popular lens fingerprint/3D thing)