Subject: [Leica] Need Help With Lens
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Feb 15 11:14:23 2005

>The solution is simple and cheap. Don't use a filter.  Leica  recommends you
>don't.
>

>Regards,
>Sonny
>http://www.sonc.com
>Natchitoches,  Louisiana
>Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
>?galit?, libert?,  crawfish
>

>In a message dated 2/15/2005 10:40:20 A.M. Central  Standard Time,
>richard@rjg.com writes:
>Hi all.  This is my first  submission to the list.
>
>I recently purchased a used 28mm 2.8 Elmarit-M  lens.  This is a model
>manufactured in Canada with a 49mm filter  size.  The lens has two
>metal posts where either a lens cap or lens  shade attaches.
>
>I purchased a B+W 49mm UV slim filter but found that both  the lens
>cap and lens shade would not attach with the filter in  place.
>
>Does anyone know whether a Leica made filter would rectify this
>problem or is this camera essentially filterless if one wants to use
>a  lens shade.
>
>Many thanks in advance for your responses!
>
>Best  wishes,
>
>Richard Greenstone

What Sonny writes is basically true, but on
occasion you do need a filter, for protection in
nasty environments and for B&W. Some filters have
too thick a mount for the lens shade; try another
brand. As far as the cap is concerned, is that
the deep plastic cap? Is the problem that it
won't stay on with the filter attached? In that
case the tabs are worn off, which happens
eventually. Buy a generic snap on cap.

Better yet, leave the filter and cap at home and
use only the shade. That way, you can take
optimal pictures when the mood strikes you,
instead of the inside of your cap, or the extra
reflections off your filter, or the instant after
the picture moment while you're in the process of
taking off your cap. :-)

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design