Subject: [Leica] Leica] Leica Solms reports 50% loss what does this mean?
From: leica35 at yahoo.com (Roger Bunting)
Date: Thu Feb 17 13:38:04 2005

>> Remember, Leica, Solms is about the size of a
>> large Home Depot or Tesco.
>> <http://www.zeitblende.com/reportagen/leica/>

> Thanks, William.  Nice photos to put things in
> perspective, at least for
> me.

> (Geez, they don't look like elves to me!)  :-)

> Ken

Rant on:

If I were to have imagined Solms I don't know what I
would have conjured up, but certainly not these
images. Perhaps this photo essay was about emphasizing
the people, but I'm thinking it's likely an accurate
depiction of the atmosphere and what the underlying
philosophy in the manufacture of the product. I'm
surprised (and not surprised) by all the hand
assembly, the hand held micro tools the workbench
inspections by the skilled craftsman and the hospital
like "patient" care. All this would certainly speak to
the fact that at $2500 for a lens and $3000 for a body
we are clearly enjoying bargain prices. By the Solms
atmosphere alone, as depicted in (or at least as I
interpret) the photos, the costs are not reflected in
the product. And the will of the market place will
certainly have it's way.

How many of us, including myself, have turned to the
used market for a good as new product (its implicit in
the product and product marketing that the piece parts
of the Leica system live for generations) or more
recently to CV for the finder the exceeds the Leitz
original and other such street musings. What's behind
these photos helped shape the efficient recycling of
the Leitz product and the other suppliers that have
sprung up the fill the void. I wonder in the interior
of the CV plant resembles these photos.

If these pictures are typical of the production
facility at Solms, then "a la carte" is truly a
rational vision. The place is a custom shop and all
this makes me very sad.

End of rant.

I think the news in the "subject line" was inevitable.
It's time for me to get the additional lens and other
items now if I'm serious about my Leica photography.

Regards,
Roger