Subject: [Leica] How much does it cost to make an M4-P2 $499? body the buyout
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Feb 18 06:29:08 2005

On 2/18/05 12:35 AM, "Feli" <feli2@earthlink.net> typed:

>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] How much does it cost to make an M4-P2 $499?
>>> body thebuyout
>
> Forget it guys. The only thing that's going to save Leica's arse in the
> long run is a digital M.

>snippet<

The thing about " The only thing that's going to save Leica's arse in the
long run is a digital M." is there already IS a digital M.
Our precious arsenals of Leica glass CAN go to digital work if we want them
to. Besides scanning them ourselves or having that done while the film is
being run.

The Digital M is out now already only its not made by Leica.
It's made by Cosina.
Three Grand and no red dot.
When Leica's real digital M comes out going to coast 5 grand for that red
dot.
So how much of a bump that's going to make on the Richter Scale I don't
know. By then we've all blown our wad in any of the available burgeoning
directions.

As each day goes by if we haven't gone with the Epson we get more and more
heavily invested into our Canons and Nikons which have nice digital bodies
for relatively chump change and marvelous big hollow feeling lenses with
little micromoters in them and CPU's and so on. 72mm filters but who needs
filters?
Many of us hard core Leica nuts are on a roll in that, a very non Leica
direction. I plead nolo contendo supremo. A major minor culprit.
Things will kind of have to go full circle I think.
Before we find ourselves needing to spend five grand to get ourselves
rangefinder digitally enabled when we're already SLR DX G AF-S ED IF
enabled.
The roll that we're on is going to have to finally roll itself out. All
things being level we're just talking frictions effect on inertia.
In the meanwhile Leica puts its moniker on the front of a million Panasonics
to stay afloat. And let them make their minicams which sell like little
hotcakes.

When the time comes we all pause to refresh and return to a more studied
craftsmanship to our image making.
Like when we got sick of our SLR film cameras and bought our M.
This time around I say it will be early 2007.

A motor drive though I wouldn't mind.
5 grand for a camera with a thumb wind to cock the shutter is retro I can
live without. Put a little micromoter in there.
Hold the mustard.
I look upon that with relish.

Leica just has to catch-up.

Mark Rabiner