Subject: [Leica] Leica - paragraph 92
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (nathan.wajsman@planet.nl)
Date: Fri Feb 18 21:57:22 2005

As painful as Leica's current travails are for those of us who have an
attachment to the brand and the history and tradition associated with
it (and I count myself in that category), throwing German taxpayer
money at the company will not solve the problem and would anyway
contravene EU rules. There are very few cases where state aid has been
a success, in the sense of helping a company survive a temporary
problem and then stand on its own again. The only case I can think of
were the Chrysler loan guarantees in the 1980s--the company survived
and repaid the loans ahead of schedule, but they also had new
management that was prepared to do a painful restructuring and new
products that were successful in the market. In virtually every other
case state aid is just money down the drain.

Leica is a commercial enterprise in a capitalist economy. It is the
nature of such an economy that a company that cannot make a profit
eventually goes bankrupt. The movement of manufacturing jobs to low-
cost locations has been taking place everywhere in the rich world, and
yet countries like the US, the UK, the Netherlands or Scandinavia have
managed to replace the lost jobs and have unemployment rates well into
the single digits. Countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy, which
have a long tradition for state aid to ailing enterprises, lots of
labour market and other regulations, and general state meddling in the
economy, all have unemployment rates in double digits. There is a
connection here. And note that the low-unemployment countries include
not just the perfidious Anglo-Saxons but also Continental countries
which have maintained a welfare state and a high level of solidarity.
This is indeed the direction that the German government is taking,
with the Hartz (sp) labour market reforms as an initial step.

Leica will survive in some form, but not as a part of a handbag
marketer--the Hermes investment has given the company nothing except
some cash to allow it to operate for a bit longer. What Leica needs is
to be bought by someone like Canon, Sony et. al., in other words a
company that is successful in the photo business and can provide Leica
with some economies of scale, access to technology that Leica needs
etc. This is how the boutique car brands like Saab and Jaguar have
survived until now. They still face difficult times, but without the
investments by GM and Ford, respectively, they would surely be gone by
now.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, Netherlands