Subject: [Leica] Thanks to BD and John Szarkowski
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Sun Feb 20 11:51:06 2005

I never see these rules as hard and fast but I think they can really
help make a shot out of nothing. I also think that trying to use some
of these elements to accentuate the meaning of a photo is quite
powerful. For example, I did a series of photos of a father/son metal
working team and I wanted to use hard-edged triangles to accentuate
their medium which would always have a hard time being shown on film
(as their pieces are so large).  It may not have worked, I remember
getting almost no LUG feedback ;) but it helped me see the subject and
it gave me an approach to shooting that I wouldn't have otherwise.
That, to me, is the power of these "rules".

e.e. cummings once wrote in a response to a 13 year old girl's letter
to the 1920s magazine "The Dial" that one must learn grammatical rules
so one knows how and why they are breaking them.

Dave

Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Thanks to BD and John Szarkowski)