Subject: [Leica] A question for Ted, our God of Speed.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Feb 20 21:27:58 2005

Howdy Chris,
Seems you're first. ;-)

> Ted, here's my question. If you have or use an M-series 135mm lens, which
> one is it? Why that particular lens? Does it hold up well when thumping
> dullards who get in your way? <<<

I had a 135mm M lens for one assignment back in the '70's because I required
to be as quiet as possible and yet have some reach, so it was the 135
Elmarit-m 2.8.  Hated the lens everytime I had it in hand and to my eye!
Simply because 135 is too long for the M body and viewfinder viewing. And
that's whatever model Leica make new or old. As soon as the shoot was over
in a month I sold it at a loss just to get rid of it.

The longest M lens I use is a 90 Summicron  f 2.0, a razor blade sharp
negative cutter. However, I rarely use it unless I absolutely have to. I
prefer anything longer than 50mm to be on an R body of some kind. If for
some reason I required a 135 for the M today I'd look for a used same old
135 Elmarit-m 2.8. Why? Because it's faster than the new Apo-telyt M f 3.4
and my first choice for any lens is fast first. Regardless of any other
number or technical factors.

And yes the 135 Elmarit-m 2.8. is solidly made and a good thumping lens if
necessary. ;-) Although I'd not recommend lens thumping. ;-)

I hope this answer works for you,
regards,
ted