Subject: [Leica] A question for Ted, our God of Speed.
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Feb 21 09:29:33 2005

The Hektor is an OK lens for straight photography: quite soft wide open
with the usual improvements when stopping down. Where it really shines
is when used stopped down on a viso/bellows. It is an excellent M
"macro" lens and that is all I use mine for.

For general shooting the 135/4 Tele-Elmar is stunning performer from
wide open right the way through the aperture range. According to Erwin
the 135/3.4 APO is ever so slightly better but I can't see any
difference on slides I have seen. The T-E is a light, pocketable lens
handy to have about when a little more reach is required and you are
only carrying M cameras.

The 135/2.8 Elmarit-M (second version) is a very good lens. Not as
sharp as the T-E or APO wide open but not too bad. Typical of long
f/2.8 lenses of the period with the usual pleasant "Leitz" rendition
wide open as opposed to the more "clinical" rendition of the Japanese
lenses (with the exception of the 105/2.5). Mind you the 135/2.8E-M is
a huge lens on an M. I only use mine in indoor/lowlight situations --
read: seldom.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] A question for Ted, 135 lens)