Subject: [Leica] chemicals and computer screen?
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Feb 21 13:36:47 2005

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>You've got to wear one of those white paper masks! :)
>
>And turn OFF your ventilation fan when you pour powders!

One reason I went digital was preceived darkroom dangers. I think I
overreacted. I'd studied up on how to safely handle various chemicals. I
took the neccessary precautions. I used common sense (all keys as you
alluded.). I also underestimated how much I enjoy working in the darkroom.

I'm shooting film again. I'm finding that there are certain things I can
do with film that I can't do with digital. Right now everyone seems to
be focusing on the merits of digital, and there certainly are many. But
after a lot of painstaking effort and cost related to inkjet printing
I've yet to attain the kind of blacks (and tonal gradiations) I can get
with a good paper/developer combo, some selenium toner, and good technique.

I just wish that learning how to print well the old fashioned way didn't
require so much effort. It's not like I can use a curves adjustment
layer to bail me out. With digital I can get 80 percent there with 20
percent of the effort. I don't have to be as careful when shooting,
either. And most people don't even notice the difference. But I notice.
And I can't get away from it. Any more than I can get away from using
the best equipment.

Dave

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] On topic: 1.4/50 Summilux-M)