Subject: [Leica] kapoor sculpture in chicago
From: ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner)
Date: Thu Feb 24 21:55:09 2005

OK, I'm not a lawyer, and I do not have a formal statement from one.
But, I do not _think_ that they can legally stop you from standing in a
public place and taking pictures of anything you can see from there. I
also do not think they can stop you from making editorial, as opposed
to commercial, use of those pictures. But please do not risk your
freedom or fortune based on what I think. Talk to an attorney before
you do anything important! Even if you're in the right, a big movie
company could cause you a lot of expensive trouble, even if you won in
the end! If you were in the mood for a fight (and had taken legal
counsel), it might be interesting to pull out your cell phone, and
offer to call the police yourself.

My guess regarding your Eggleston portrait is that you could use it in
a blog as an illustration of a discussion of his work. (Of course,
you're much less likely to have trouble if there's nothing in your
writing that could possibly be construed as defamatory. Unfortunately,
one man's criticism is another man's defamation.) I _think_ you could
use your pictures of him (for which _you_ own the copyright) in the
same context, but not in an ad for, say, Eggleston Beer. It might be a
nice gesture, and a safety factor, to write him a note first. Again,
please do not make any decisions based on my opinions!

Obviously, this is a subject about which I feel fairly strongly, and I
hate to hedge it about with so many cautions. What I really hope is
that some attorney/photographer on the list will jump in with some
general principles.

-EAL