Subject: [Leica] Nikon D2X, or wait for the actual production models
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Fri Feb 25 20:08:16 2005

I'm a little baffled by Nikon's decisions lately.

First the rehash of the D2H, in the form of the D2HS. Who releases a
4MP pro camera AGAIN in 2005, especially in light of the 1D mkII, which
is now a year old?? That camera should have had no less than 8MP.

I'm going to hold my judgment on the D2x until I can either play with
one myself or see a reliable test. I hope Nikon's
stubborn insistence on the DX format sensor doesn't bite them, but from
a technological standpoint it just doesn't strike me as a brilliant
idea. You can eliminate vignetting pretty easily with software, but
getting rid of noise is a whole different story, as is the more limited
dynamic range of the smaller receptors...

And what is the deal with the D100? That camera should have been
replaced 6-12 months ago. Where is the D200 or D90 or whatever they are
going to call it? Every Nikon digital shooter I run into is screaming
bloody murder about this. There is a huge cap between the D70 and the
D2x or D2HS.

I still think the D70 is one heck of a deal, but the new Rebel XT is
going to be breathing down it's neck pretty hard.
Supposedly they are about to release a D50, which may be a D70 with a
price tag below the Rebel 350XT.

Obviously Nikon does not have the resources that Canon has, but still
this is strange...

feli