Subject: [Leica] GeeBee's 'Street' photography
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Feb 26 10:17:28 2005

:-)
First off, I'd suggest that anyone wanting to do, appreciate, or discuss
"street photography" take a look for minimal starters at the work of
Winnogrand.

For whatever its worth, street photography must contain either irony,
humor, or some degree of pathos. It has to say, or really show something
about the human condition. It can't just say 'some people are fat;' 'a
girl talks on a cell phone.'

I don't make any claim what so ever to being a 'street photographer,'
although I believe I have a handful of images that make the grade. But
doing real street photography takes enormous skill and dedication, an
amazing eye, and a willingness to shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot
and shoot and shoot and shoot some more.

Since you asked, I'd say BeeGee's shot of the four? women with ice cream
cones cuts it as "street photography," and the shot of the seaside wall
with the cup and the guy behind it almost does - it would work if it had
been shot slightly differently so that the guy's head seemed to be
sitting on the wall like the cup. I'd say that this makes the cut..
http://www.leica-gallery.net/bdcolen/image-68308.html - others may
disagree.

-----
You shouldn't look at a street photo and say, 'oh, look at those scruffy
guys around those motor cycles outside the bar.' Because if you do,
you're just looking at - a shot of a bunch of scruffy guys around a
bunch of motorcycles outside a bar - about which one would have to say,
'And your point is...?'

But if, for example, those same choppers are parked infront of a high
end boutique on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and a Hells Angel Type and
his 'Mama' are coming out of the boutique with shopping bags, you might
have a good street photo.....