Subject: [Leica] Is that so wrong?
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Sun Feb 27 01:59:35 2005

>It's certainly becoming more common to see the PS approach.
>If you look on something like photo.net, the vast majority of shots
>are heavily manipulated. Nothing wrong with that, but to me it's just
>not
>a photograph anymore, but a graphic.
>
>Personally I really dislike the attitude that a lot of shooters take
>these days, of "oh, I'll just fix it later in PS".  Why not just shoot
>it right the first time around? Somehow strikes me as, gasp- cheating.
>It makes a lot of people look like they are far better photographers
>than
>they really are. I feel the same way about a lot of people I know who
>shoot
>with heavily automated cameras and claim to be 'professional'
>photographers,
>when they don't even know how to use a lightmeter, grey card or
>understand
>the relationship between asa, shutter speeds and aperture.
>
>Photography as a craft is not what it used to be.

Feli

May be things are not so simple. When in the dark room most of us do (did?)
framing and cropping, find the the right paper for the right contrast, set
the right exposition and developing timing and the right chemic  and so on,
we are finally making choices about different alternatives. Only one is the
*truth*?.I think not Same with digital. Framing, contrasting, etc...However
there are steps beyond. Modifying, adding,subtracting, changing
substantially the image. Where is the limit. I don't know but for me that
counts is the final result. I forget the way traversed and the means used;
It is the photography/graphic,drawing or  whatever you may call it what
counts. If the result is strong, beautiful or awakes some sentiment in my
soul or a big admiration the effort was a good one.

The subject is very important and if relates to human beings is even more
but beauty does not end in human beings. Any subject has his own beauty or
any other capability of awaking some pulsations of our souls. Pictures of PJ
are very often terrible but IMHO are very often too good pictures.
Composition is very important but not always, and is a technique that can be
learn mainly from painters in the museums starting from this Battaglia whose
author I cannot remember that when finding out some solution to perspective
problems jumped out from his bed leaving his perplexed spouse.

I try to get my mind open about what could be photography and more and more
the result worths infinitely more than the means used to get it.

Felix

PS Once more I apologize for my English.

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Is that so wrong?)