Subject: [Leica] Re: Venezia Carnevale
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue Mar 1 13:06:33 2005

>I'm glad you liked them.  Of course the carnival is very colourful.
>However, I am of the opinion that using colour would have weakened them;
>they would have run the rist of turning into picture postcards.  But then I
>am a B&W man.
>
>John

OK John, I like too B&W but not always. I should take a picture of a
rainbow but never B&W. My point is that some images when private of  his
polychrome character become stronger as in the way the simplification
has achieved something like a concentration or reduct6ion of his
essence. This is quite true referring to human beings pictures and
concern movies too. Nobody could imagine the neorealistic cinema or
first Ingman Bergman films in color. But other subjects are much better
traduced into images in color. So I'm a b&w man when the subject is
asking it and a color man when is asking the full richness of his color.

I thought, humbly, that your Venetian pictures were asking color. Just
my opinion. Up to the moment of my wife's health started to become worse
we were in this town once every year, at least,  and I have shot
literally thousand pictures. None in b&w. Some of the most interesting
are those of the most decadent and ramshackle corners of the Adriatic
town but even those have such a lordship character that were asking for
color. Again my opinion.

Warm regards

Felix