Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG hams
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Thu Mar 3 12:21:40 2005

> I inherited a couple of TenTec rigs from my Dad (as well as his call
W9PSP) I think Ray Cohn of Raytheon started Ten Tec? Dad knew him as well as
Phil Halligan and Collins.

Yes, Ray Cohn started TenTec with some of the surplus funds yielded from the
sale of Raytheon back in the 60s-70s ?? I don't know when.  He built a large
and very expensive house up on a knob in Gatlinburg and lived there for a
while.  He moved back to Michigan (I think) and left the house as a vacation
home which he never visited.  It recently was cleaned up and put on the
market for sale and I went, out of curiosity, to tour it.  It is still a
ham's dream home with one of the biggest rotating towers I've ever seen. It
still has what looks like two stacked tribanders and several other monoband
yagis on at least a 100' self supporting, rotating tower. That tower
probably cost more than my house!

JB

PS- I think the old man's still alive and in his late 80's or early 90's.

JB