Subject: [Leica] Fair enough
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Fri Mar 4 04:38:55 2005

The capabilities for producing and printing multiple script has always
been there with computers but it always took more work... *just like
with typewriters*. If there was some sort of learning experience with
changing ribbons and making footnotes with typewriters I would
challenge you to do the same thing using TeX on any classic or modern
computer.

The real issue to me is that when people refer to "word processing"
right now they are referring to MS Word. When we allow one company to
control the toolchain as much as MS does we will always suffer when we
need to do something outside of their world view.

Not long ago people writing farsi were still complaining about support
for their language in word processors (read: Word) especially when
they needed to throw in a word from a left to right Western language.
The amazing thing was that there were already easy-to-use word
processors available that could do just that but they were not on
Windows :)

Dave

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Fair enough)
Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Fair enough)