Subject: [Leica] Changing face of photoraphy
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (drodgers7798@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 4 11:53:31 2005

I was just following a Nikon D2X thread another list. I had the chance to
test drive one yesterday. It is indeed an amazing camera. But..... I
remember when we the LUG included hot debates on whether or not a Lieca M
was worth the price (around $2K at the time).  $5K is a lot for a camera
body.

Lots of discussion on the above mentioned thread about file size,
downloading time, etc. Getting so I can develop a roll of film faster than I
can download files on a large CF card (up to 30 min).  Digital files add up.
How can a person even manage terabytes of files? Who would want to?

Bigger files demand more computing power.  (sorry to state the obvious! But
I just upgraded my system to 4GB of ram and I wonder for how long that will
be adequate.)  I sometimes struggle deciding which image to put effort into
from a roll of 36.  3,600 on the same subject is overwhelming?

Shooting with film is like shooting with a sniper rifle. I put in a decent
amount of effort before each shot. I usually come close to a bullseye.
Shooting digital is like using a submachine gun. I think I'm more effective
as a sniper.  Or maybe I need to spend more time chimping and deleting.

DaveR