Subject: [Leica] DMR wins award
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Mar 7 13:21:52 2005

At 7:20 AM +1100 3/8/05, Rick Dykstra wrote:
>Saw this on another list.  The DMR won an award from the Digital
>Imaging Marketing Association (DIMA).  Not exactly sure but I think
>the category was 'Digital Back for Professional 35mm Camera that can
>still use film'.  Slam dunked the competition!  Still, well done
>Leica.  It looks like the DMR is just around the corner.
>
>http://www.photoworkshop.com/double_exposure/publish/LeicaWinsAwards.shtml
>
>What really got my attention at the same site though is the new
>Digital Rebel with 8 lotsapixies.  One view would be that other
>brands' entry level consumer grade lightweight plastic SLRs are
>close to out-gunning the DMR, for less than a quarter the cost.  I
>expect that everyone who buys a DMR will be convinced that it offers
>more.  Hmm ....
>
>Rick.

See the first section of:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-mar-05.shtml

IMO the viewfinder is the worst thing about the 20D, and the DRebel
was worse. To go even further down that path may be cheaper, but how
far can you go and still have an idea of what you're shooting?

Not to say that the DRebel isn't a better solution for most people
than the DMR, but the R-DMR solution certainly offers things that the
competition isn't covering.

One of the things I like best about the Leica M's is their
viewfinder, and therefore to see the devolution of this important (to
people who take 'seeing' seriously) item to something like an EVF or
the viewfinder on the new Rebel or Olympus E-300 seems grotesque.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] DMR wins award)