Subject: [Leica] RE: Ansel Adams
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Mon Mar 7 13:23:53 2005

ansel adams is *so* ubiquitous as a calendar photographer that it's
really hard to look at his pictures as anything but mass produced art.
he is certainly an immensely important figure in photography but is
almost too big to deal with.  i don't think it's an impossibility:
shakespeare, for instance, is arguably way, way, way more important in
literature but *is* definitely dealt with very seriously, in spite of
all the pop shakespeare crap we have to contend with.

another sort of analogy might be the mona lisa.  it's a quite good
renaissance painting but is almost impossible to deal with because it's
the MONA LISA.  it's a cultural sign that is SO huge, so much more than
really any other painting.

--brad

--
brad daly
brad@bradbrad.com

What Would Bill Hicks Say?

"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."
        --Vladimir Nabokov

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] RE: Ansel Adams)