Subject: [Leica] Scanners
From: banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche)
Date: Thu Mar 10 09:12:05 2005

Dear Pramod,

"Decent" scans depend on the eye of the beholder and what you want to
do with them, and so on. I can tell you my own practice, with which I
get enjoyment from my hobby:

I have a Canoscan FS4000US (now out of production) that is a dedicated
film scanner for 35mm only. I think the quality you can get with that
or the equivalent models from Nikon, Minolta and Polaroid are more than
enough for amateur use.

I did not use to have a flat scanner, and I recently bought the Canon
Canoscan 9950F, which allows film scanning including medium format and
batched 35mm (30 negs or 12 slides). It was so slow at 4000 dpi that I
tried the default 1200 dpi, and was favorably surprised. This works
very fast (1-2 min) per image and gives enough quality for
standard-size prints and web images. My understanding is that Epson has
similar models. You can find some very personal reviews on them at
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

My latest uploads
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/JGB-Leica-PAW-Project) were all done
with this scanner.

Many members of the list use scanners and have much more experience.
Regarding buying one, I think the prices are low enough that is worth
buying new and getting a manufacturer's warranty.

Juan