Subject: [Leica] looking at Pentax *istD
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Mar 13 15:20:33 2005

Steve:  As best I remember from my research last year, the *ist D gives you
whatever automation your lens supports, but only with K mount lenses.  So
if you have a manual focus auto-diaphragm "K" lens, that's what you
get.  There's a green button on the *ist D that stops the lens down, takes
a reading, and then opens it back up again.  Exposing the frame stops the
lens down again.

With screw-mount lenses, the situation is much the same as with other DSLRs
including the R lenses on a C*non. You get stop-down metering only and no
automatic diaphragm.  But there's a loophole--a lot of old Pentax
screw-mount lenses have a "manual-auto" lever.  I believe this allows you
to keep the aperture ring at the desired stop, and use the lever to go
between open and stopped down.  Sort of like a preset lens.  At least you
don't have to count clicks every time your subject moves.

Of all the DSLRs I tried, the *ist D was the easiest bar none to focus
manually.  The whole screen "feels" almost like microprism.  I liked the
way the *ist D handled more than the *ist DS.  The latter definitely feels
"consumer" rather than "prosumer."

A few Google searches will get you more exact information.  Also, a Leica
kinda guy posted a review of the *ist DS on photo.net recently.  He
includes discussion of its suitability for street shooting, and even a
comparison shot of the same model shot with Tri-X on a Leica, and on the
*ist DS converted to B&W.

Review:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/pentax/istds/
Discussion thereof:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BTAm

--Peter. . .
. . .who still wants a digital M-mount camera that's under $2,000, has a
long RF base, can be used at its widest setting by glasses wearers, blah
blah blah. . .