Subject: [Leica] synecdoche -- only a reminder
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 13:27:35 2005

In a message dated 3/16/05 11:25:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

It's bad  enough when someone posts a really bad photo here and everyone
oooohs and  aaaaahs - which certainly doesn't help the photographer any.
But to  important a photo from somewhere else and point it out as an
example of  stunning photography....well, sorry, but biting my tounge
isn't one of my  strong suits. --BD
Hi BD,

I never intended that photo as an example of a great work of art. It's
merely an example of synecdoche. I just thought that this concept is a good
reminder of what many first rate photographers have always done. The problem
 with
synecdoche is that the photographer must assume that the viewer has
knowledge
of the detail that opens the meaning of the image.

Bob

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] Synecdoche -- and Other Tropes)