Subject: [Leica] Re:Gray market
From: woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell)
Date: Thu Mar 17 19:28:46 2005

When I asked Nikon about this they said the policy was if you purchased the
camera in another country from an authorized dealer from that country, it
would be fixed under the international warranty. Part of the reason was
exactly as Felix mentioned, he lives in Spain, buys the camera there and is
in the US when it fails.  In the same respect, were I in another country
when something of mine failed, they would attend to it as well.  What was
not covered was buying a camera from another country and having it shipped
here, or buying it here from someone other then Nikon USA that imported it.
According to them the logic is, all the costs associated with the camera
come out of the profits they make selling the cameras they import.  Buying
one from the internet or a gray market dealer gave them no profit, thus they
should not bear the expense of repairing it.  Their agreement allows them to
bill back repairs from products brought into the country by the customer
that bought it directly from a Nikon dealer in another country.  According
to them, all the major players had a similar policy.
I know that during the 80s Porsche and others would not allow their dealers
to work on a gray market car.  Their excuse was the car had different parts,
didn't meet standards, etc and it was a liability issue.  That has faded
into history.
Bill