Subject: [Leica] Change of opinion
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Mar 18 08:52:46 2005

I just picked up a Minolta Dimage 5400 scanner. After some initial scans
I have a new appreciation for film in the digital workflow. I scanned
some TMX 400 negs that were taken with my M6 and 21/2.8 ASPH (I love
that lens). I printed the image (roughly 13x20 in size) on my Epson 3000
and I was absolutely stunned by the output.
I also scanned some Leica chromes. I printed them on my Canon i9100.
Very pleased with the results there, too. I preferred the look of the bw
neg images over bw images I've made from digital SLR images.  The color
images from the slide scans were a toss up. Slightly different character
compared to images made from DSLR files (whereas the bw images were
quite different in character).

The Minolta scanner is a huge upgrade over my old Nikon Coolscan. It's
given my Leica M new life. I bought the scanner intending to use it to
scan old negatives. But it's convinced me to keep shooting film.
Particularly bw film.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Change of opinion)
Reply from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Change of opinion)