Subject: [Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Mar 19 04:47:37 2005

Richard, I would take a deep breath, spend a little more time thinking
about why taking classes in photography interests you, and then
comparing those thoughts to an online education.

If you just want to learn more about studio lighting, portraiture, table
top photography or whatever, then classes can show you the standard ways
of doing things.  On the other hand, if you are looking for the spark of
enlightenment that will spark a creative binge, I don't think classes
will help.

Before I jumped back into school, I would check out some of the
professional photographer associations in your area and schmooze with
them for a while.  Contact with real people is often more informative
than a online classroom.  Also, chat up the folks at Keeble and Suchart
to see what has worked for their customers.

Also, check out the various classes that Adobe offers as well as other
organizations.  You will find that there is a lot of learning just
talking to the attendees and looking at their work.

I guess in a round about way, I am suggesting that most photography
courses of study are pretty worthless.  Exceptions would be Brooks, RIT,
the photojournalism course at UM, The schools of design in LA or in GA,
and possibly a few more places.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com