Subject: [Leica] Digital cameras with large aperture lenses
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Sat Mar 19 21:07:26 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henning Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 2:07 AM

> At 12:21 PM -0800 3/19/05, Adam Bridge wrote:
>>Okay - I STILL don't understand what you say is happening.
>>
>>I can understand that less light may be captured by the microlenses
>>over the sensor elements located at the edges of the sensors because
>>the lenses, I suppose, are designed for light arriving perpendicular
>>to the plane of the sensor when, in fact, they are not.
>>
>>BUT  how does this affect what's going on in the middle of the sensor?
>>It doesn't make any sense to me at all. If you open from f2 to f1.4
>>you should receive twice the number of photons arriving at the
>>micro-lens (since the lens works identically as that for film up to
>>this point.)
>
> First, think of the image sensors being at the bottom of a small well, so
> that it has trouble seeing anything except what is in a narrow angle
> directly above them. The microlenses try to alleviate this by providing a
> wider angle of view, but their efficiency falls off the greater the angle
> of the incident light off the perpendicular.
>
> Now think of a lens with a large aperture, that has its rear nodal point
> close to the censor. For the sake of this argument, consider the rear
> nodal point as the center of the rear element, and the rear nodal plane as
> being the cross section of the rear lens parallel to the sensor. The
> diameter of the rear element is the same as the diagonal of the sensor in
> this lens. Now: a ray that hits the very corner of the sensor, coming from
> the center of the rear nodal point, arrives at an angle say, 45 degrees
> from the perpendicular. As it has to make a 45 degree turn at the entrance
> of the sensor 'well' to make it down through the filters and into the
> sensor, a lot of light is lost and vignetting results, right?
>
> Now, imagine that you are using the same lens wide open to shoot
> something, and therefore some of the rays go through the middle of the
> lens and hit the central sensor well (middle pixel of the image) head on.
> Optimal usage of the light. However, with a very fast lens wide open, over
> _half_ of the light comes from the outer 1/3 of the lens's diameter (you
> can check the geometry). This means that a lot of the light is expected to
> go through the outer zone of the lens, make a 40 to 45 degree turn through
> refraction of the lens, and then enter that central sensor well site by
> making another 40 to 45 degree turn, which it finds just as difficult to
> do as the previous ray trying to get to the corners. The sensor can't make
> very efficient use of this light, and instead of getting one full
> additional stop's worth of light, it only gets 50% or even less of that.
>
> I hope I'm making this clearer, and not muddier. :-)
>
> Anyway, it's mostly just geometry, and if you draw it out on paper, it
> might become clearer. Remember, it's the rays that have to make a sharp
> turn that have trouble, and in the end don't contribute much to the light
> [...]
Hi Henning i can visualise the sharp turn of the rays and the bouncing
around in the little well .just forgot where the energy goes.
if the angle of attack between the ray and the surface it hit,s first is the
same for the center as the edge of the array lets presume the angle of
attack is ninety degrees for simplicity then all photons will arrive at the
bottom of the well or not?
i understand they will arrive slightly later.

Still as i replied to Don,s post my reason for starting this thread was
merely to point out that large aperture optical systems are built and that
they use digital sensors.
and i would be very disappointed if my noctilux changes into a F4 with the
digital M
thanks for your reply
simon

Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Digital cameras with large aperture lenses)