Subject: [Leica] Admiration for Ted and many others!
From: gwpics at netscape.net (Gerry walden)
Date: Fri Mar 25 01:24:47 2005

Yesterday I had a solo photocall with Olympic diving silver medallist
Peter Waterfield at the local pool, and I have never shot diving before.
I was using a Nikon D1X and a 70-200 image stabilization lens shooting
at 640iso. Peter was diving for me from the 10 metre board, and I was
able to get about 6 shots in on 'continuous' mode before he hit the
water. Framing was fine (checked on LCD) and I was really pleased with
the way the shoot went until I saw the results on the computer - not a
single sharp shot amongst them!! The poolside shots, and the static
shots on the end of the board were razor sharp, but the action shots
were virtually unusable.

I wanted to say that I now have even more admiration for people like Ted
who shot this type of thing regularly with manual focus, guess the
exposure type gear on film (probably initially 400iso) and got stunning
images time after time. The best gear, and loads of photographic
experience coupled with no pressure and I still don't cut it! I felt
like asking Peter to spin slowly, or to take his time falling (if only)
but the only thing I can do is hold my hand up and ask for another chance!

So Ted, great admiration and any tips would be very welcome before Peter
gets back to me with a new schedule (hopefully!)

Gerry
--

  Gerry Walden

www.gwpics.com <http://www.gwpics.com/>