Subject: [Leica] Seeking a new 50
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Mar 25 02:55:44 2005

Subject lines says it all. I currently own the CV 50/2.5 and 50/1.5. I
had high hopes for the 50 Color Skopar, but use the 50 Nokton most of
the time.

But neighter really float my boat. The Nokton comes close. Hanging
around f5.6 or so, I get lovely fine detail. Shot several animal pics at
the zoo which really brought this to my attention.  But bokeh is a
problem with specular highlights, some wiriness and the like.

But I'm seeking out a different "look."  The closest in my current kit
is the Nikon 45/2.8P. I find this a lovely lens. Plenty of detail, but
no harshness. A kind of smoothness mixed in with the detail. Divine shot
at close to medium focus distance.  Bokeh to die for, and yes, bokeh is
important to me in a 50mm FL lense. I'd say that it has a "refined" look.

I guess my M-mount candidates are the current Summicron, the pre-ASPH
Summilux and the Elmar-M.

The Elmar-M is a tessar based design like my Nikon 45P, so wonder if
that is what I'm looking for. It's a little slow, but then I can always
shoot HP5 at EI 800, or go out and buy a really fast 35 Lux :-)

The Summicron is the summicron. I read that close-up performance is
excellent. Is this a "do no wrong" 50mm legendary lens.

And then the Lux. Don't know much about this one. Most discussions talk
about it's low-light performance, but I do hear mention of a beloved
"look."  I'd like to learn more about this one.

For background, I shoot B&W pretty much exclusively. Family, friends and
hobbyist documentary and artsy pics. I rarely shoot landscape stuff
(just vacations). I scan film and print with an MIS ink set outfitted
Epson printer.

Appreciate any help.

Scott

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Seeking a new 50)