Subject: [Leica] Looking for a Contarex part
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Mar 25 14:51:06 2005

At 05:25 PM 3/25/05 -0500, Jim Shulman wrote:
>OK, it's not Leica, but it is part of a magnificent, obsolete, overbuilt
>German camera <g>.
>
>A friend needs a take-up spool for a Contarex bullseye.  He recently
>purchased a Contarex outfit, but the camera unfortunately was missing the
>spool.
>
>Any help would be most welcome.  Please respond directly offlist to
>jshul@comcast.net

All Contax RF, Contaflex, and Contarex cameras share the same spools and
cassettes.  The later ones as used from 1955 verily unto the end were true
works of art, as were the film cassettes.  I would suggest that Woffram
Umbach of Z-V Service in North Carolina would be a good source.  Kiev RF's
use the identical take-up spool and cassette, so Eddie Smoloff in New York
would be another potential source.

And Nikon RF cameras use the identical spool, I believe:  I know that the
Nikon cassette is a direct borrowing of the fine Zeiss Ikon design -- and
this, incidentally, remained in production until around 1990.  I am not
certain that Nikon SLR's used a take-up spool which would be of use in the
Contarex, but the SLR's from the F to the F3 or so used the cassette, so,
if the take-up spool is removeable, it should be useable on the Contarex.

You might also sign up on the Zeiss Ikon Collectors' Group on Yahoo Groups
and ask this question there:  that is a list of heavy-hitters and worthy
minds.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!