Subject: [Leica] Seeking a new 50 - Buying Tips
From: colucci at thehearth.org (Dan Colucci)
Date: Fri Mar 25 16:16:49 2005

1. Almost every Summar, Summitar, Summarit, Coll Summicron, D/R Summicron
and Rigid ( same formula as DR ), have some level of haze inside from
Leica's lube.  Please dont email me you found/bought a perfect one of these
lenses - if you did it was pure chance - I have owned/purchased/traded/sold
probably 60 of these lenses and I would say I found some level of haze in
90% of them.  So, first tip - allow $ 100 to have Sherry clean your lens.

2.  60% of the above lenses will also have cleaning marks.  The soft coating
Leica used does not stand up well.  I would avoid any lens with heavy marks,
as resale will be difficult and flare may be more of a problem then some of
these lenses already have !

2. Later Summicron's, post mid 70's seem to have less of an issue with haze
and cleaning marks.  I have never seen the current version have haze ( maybe
its just not old enough yet )

3. On the used market, one probably cant do better than the current version
summi. for an all around performer at all apertures...  With a good search,
you can find for $ 600 or less.

4.  Buy from a fellow Leica nut - not a retail dealer - as Leica nuts will
tell you every nick, dust spot, and cleaning mark that may exist...

Dan
www.antiquecameras.net