Subject: [Leica] scenes from the OR ...paw 15
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Mar 29 14:25:12 2005

Steve Barbour showed:
Subject: scenes from the OR ...paw 15

>I am completing the sequence  "scenes
> from the OR" with two recent  images of
> colleagues at work...
>> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-81911.html
>> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-81912.html<<<<

Hi Steve,
81911 on my screen is very dark? And if mine is correct then I'd almost
scrub the picture as I'm loosing the important part and why you shot!  Her
eyes and expression.!

And I'd have cropped it tighter as some of the extraneous parts are
distracting and take the viewers eyes away from the centre of attention....
her eyes!

A little something hanging on the upper left edge... crop. It would leave a
clean line top to bottom of frame. And I'd either crop the lights upper
right corner or I'd burn them down as they too pull the viewers eyes away
from the nurse.

Also burn down the lower right area which is also distracting, it doesn't
need much but some to darken it down and giving far greater meaning to her
face and eyes.

Plus as I said on my monitor she's just too dark, so I'd lighten the whole
thing slightly, however I'd hold off with that until you see what it looks
like with the suggestions I made.

But she's got the right look to the eyes of concentration and listening!  So
you hit the right moment alright, it's a tad amount of fixin' and she'll be
just fine.

The above comments are made by what I see on my screen, maybe she's brighter
on yours allowing her eyes to stand out more because that's the whole
picture right there!

Another option? Use a longer lens and go tighter on her face.

This kind of moment illustrates one of the reasons I work with 3 cameras or
more with different lenses as it allows me to change quickly at the
motivating moment. By the same token cropping can help.

OK. that's that one..... now.

81912 is the better of the two photographs. Again according to what I see on
screen. WHY?

Her eyes are stronger and there's better catch light in them. The face mask
has become a daily "horror story of reflections" for photographers. But in
this case it's not bad, as you managed to get a clean shot at the eyes
behind the mask with little distraction.

And I bet when the hand is out of the way coming lower left and across
bottom covering part of her face with the same eye concentration, the full
face image would blow this shot right out of the water! ;-)  you did see it
and shoot it right? ;-)

Oh, OK it didn't happen? Right, OK! ;-) I know you'll watch for it next
time! ;-) Wont you? ;-)

You are getting very good with this OR shooting mon ami. ;-) And when you
are there as a shooter and not a "working doctor" it's more fun and relaxing
without pressures. Certainly more fun than people can imagine. :-)

I know I have a great time shooting in this environment as I feel quite at
home just having great fun. I mean there are so many photo opportunities
going on it's like shooting fish in a barrel! :-)

Beats the hell out of "working for a living!" ;-)  Like moving concrete
blocks is work! This stuff is just out and out fun and completely enjoying
ones self. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] scenes from the OR ...paw 15)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] scenes from the OR ...paw 15)